‘I don’t look at sports as something which merely tones up the body. I look at it as a tool of education that stimulates the mind and brings in a culture of discipline.'
St Mary's Primary School believes that Physical Education, experienced in a safe, supportive and fun environment, is essential to ensure children attain a good level of physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and develop resilience, sportsmanship and collaboration skills. We teach children skills to keep them safe such as being able to swim. Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children at St Mary's, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines that Sport promotes.
- St Mary's Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; football, tennis, tag-rugby, netball, basketball, hockey, cricket, rounders, athletics, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure.
- Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week; one with a specialist teacher; covering two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities and sports after school clubs.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Each year a small group of Year 6 children are invited to become House captains for the school. They develop into sporting role models for the younger children, assisting with sports day and half termly inter-house competitions.
- Children in Year 4 take swimming lessons during the Spring Term at a local pool. We monitor their progress and signpost them to extra lessons to ensure that they make the required level of swim technique and safety when they leave primary school.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, our children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness, many of whom also enjoy the success of competitive sports. We equip our children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. They will hopefully grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through PE.